1 x pack Oddpods kidney beans
1 tsp ancho chilli powder (or an alternative chilli powder
1tsp cumin powder
300g strong cheddar (grated)
300g mozzarella (torn or grated)
4 x flour tortillas
6 fresh tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
2tbsp Balsamic vinegar
4tsbp Dark brown sugar
1tbsp light soy sauce
- Make the tomato jam – put the tomatoes, garlic, onion, salt & pepper in a blender and blend on a high speed until smooth.
- Pour into a heavy based saucepan, add the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, dark brown sugar and cook down for 30 minutes on a low heat, until a jam like consistency is reached. Set aside – it will thicken as it cools.
- Empty the kidney beans out into a bowl, smash with a fork, and add 1tsp of your chilli powder, 1tsp of cumin powder & a drizzle of olive oil. Mix well.
- Pre – heat a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat.
- For each quesadilla, take both flour tortillas and spread the tomato jam on to one side of each.
- Place one of the tortillas on to a board tomato jam side up, and scatter with mozzarella and cheddar. Then top with the kidney beans, and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Scatter with some more mozzarella and cheddar, then top with the other tortilla, with the tomato jam side facing down into the cheese!
- Drizzle some olive oil into the pan and lay your quesadilla into the pan carefully. Here, you want to press it down with something solid, like another pan, to compress the quesadilla and melt that cheese.
- After 3 minutes, flip the quesadilla, and cook for another 3 minutes, until both sides look golden and the cheese has melted.
- Place on to a serving board and cut into 4 large quesadilla slices and dig in!